Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Let's Talk Vintage #41: Madame Alexander Doll History


Welcome to Let's Talk Vintage!


About a month ago I found this 9" vintage ballerina doll at a sale. She was lying in a cardboard box with a broken leg. She was just too precious to leave behind.

Once I arrived at home, I noticed her dress had a Madame Alexander tag. I got out my MA doll guide book and thought she might be a Cissette from the 1950's.

Knowing that the amount I paid for her, plus having her repaired, might mean I would lose out on the deal. She was just too adorable to be cast aside, so I decided to get her back into shape again. 


What to do for a broken dolly? Take her to a doll hospital! Bebe and I wrapped up the little Cissette and went for a ride to see what could be done.


We found one and found out that little Cissette could be repaired!

We saw all kinds of other dolls...

You can bet Bebe had a blast checking out all of the dolls and accessories.

 
My favorite is the Madame Alexander Cissy ballerina doll from the 1950's.
 

Here's a little bit of Madame Alexander doll history from  the website here.

Did you know?

"The Alexander Doll Company was founded 75 years ago by Madame Beatrice Alexander Behrman, the daughter of Russian immigrants. She was raised over her father's doll hospital - the first in America - and often played with the dolls waiting to be mended. Her love of dolls led this dynamic woman to creating her own line of dolls. Madame Alexander infused a sense of excitement and wonderment in her fine quality, handcrafted dolls. She initiated a series of firsts in the toy industry: the first doll based on a licensed character (Scarlett from Gone With the Wind), which led to the creation of dolls based on characters from popular motion pictures; the first to bring feature baby dolls to market; the first to create dolls in honor of living people (Queen Elizabeth, the Dionne Quints). Madame Alexander was also the first to introduce the first full figured fashion doll (Cissy) with haute couture outfits. The tradition and elegance of Madame Alexander dolls continues today with a full line of collectible dolls, baby dolls and play dolls. The Alexander Doll Company is the only major manufacturer of handcrafted dolls in America."


Bebe and I bid farewell
to all of the lovely "ladies."
We had a great time visiting
and we'll be going back to pick up
 our little hospital patient soon.
Hope you enjoyed our mini-tour!

Here are this week's features:


Betsy of My Salvaged Treasures wen to a vintage fair and took these amazing pictures of cool displays like this one. Thanks for the personal tour, I loved it!


and Diana of Adirondack Girl at Heart shared gorgeous photos of "A Day in Amish Countryside." Beautiful scenery and she shared her finds in an earlier post. All wonderful!
But then again, I am biased! I love living here.
 


and Debbie at Debbie Dabble shared her creative space.
Her home is always so charming! Lovin' the antique sewing machine, Debbie!




Remember, if you are featured
 you can add this LTV "Featured"
 button on your side bar or post.

__________________________________

Now it's your turn. Let's Talk Vintage!

Linking with:
 Vintage Inspiration Party

15 comments:

Rita C at Panoply said...

Jill, thanks for the party and the informative post. My Panoply sister, M, is a master doll maker, and taught porcelain doll making in her home for several years (making authentic replicas of antique dolls). She also repaired and restored dolls. It's pretty fascinating to see her work (and the tiniest of details, oh my!). Many of her doll friends have outstanding collections of dolls like Kay's. They kinda creep a lot of people out, but I find them fascinating for their history of fashion and toys, in general.

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Jill, love your little ballerina! Last year I scored a Christmas M.A. doll at a thrift for $1.50. She was not in a box, but I knew what she was the moment I spied her. I was surprised that she still had both of her shoes. Visiting the doll hospital would be fun! My mom loved and collected dolls. I have quite a few of hers, but they aren't my style to display them so they are tucked away inside their boxes. Thanks for the party!
hugs,
Jann

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

I hope your sweet doll gets a clean bill of health when she's released from the doll hospital. Thank you so much for featuring my junkin' adventure:-)

Diana said...

Hi Jill--thanks so much for the feature!! Looking forward to see your doll good as new. I'm pinning your post to my "Antique & Vintage Resources" board. Great info!

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Jill,
Thanks so much for the feature!! I will be giving you a Shout Out on Goggle+ and in my next post!!
Love the doll Hospital but what caught my eye was the Heidi Golden Book. I still have mine as a child along with a collection from both myself and my sons.
Did I know that you lived in Lancaster only 2 hours away from me????? I probably did but it skipped my mind , I guess. We used to take the boys down to Dutch Wonderland and tour all the Amish sites. Beautiful area down there. My Nephew lives in York which is not that far from Lancaster.....
Thanks so much for hosting!!

Hugs,
Deb

Doll in the Looking Glass said...

Oh, how I would love to visit the Village Doll Hospital. Your photos showcased some beautiful dolls from their collection. Hope your special doll recovers quickly so you can enjoy her company!

Debra

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

Can't wait to see the "patient" once she's recovered! I think the dolls from the 50's are my favorites -- maybe because I LOVE everything about the 50's. Thanks for hosting and sharing!

Gina @ VictorianWannaBe said...

Oh my gosh Jillian, that doll hospital is wonderful! How cute!! Yay for you that you have admitted yours to the hospital!
Thanks for hosting and nice features too!
Gina

Sandi Magle said...

Jillian, how much fun to see the old Alexander dolls and such a great shop.
I have Cissy the ballerina, and the rare 8" baby doll. Too much fun, makes me want to dig them out and play with them. Great Post!

Sam - Raggedy Bits said...

Thank you so much for hosting and having me once again! I loved your story on your sweet Madame Alexander doll and her trip to the doll hospital! Took me back to my childhood! :-)

Rue said...

Hi Jillian :)

I'll bet Bebe had a wonderful time there! I used to go to a store (I think it was in Pasadena) called Macabob's and they carried all kinds of toys, but all I cared about were the dolls. Especially the Madame Alexander dolls. I still have mine in a box.

Thank you for the memory :)

xo,
rue

Deanies Stash said...

Thank you for the information about Madame Alexander dolls and the trip to the doll hospital. Looking forward to your doll with the repaired leg.

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

I think we went by the Doll hospital when we were in Lancaster last year. It was closed, but I wanted to go in!

Adina said...

Thank you for the invite to the party Jillian! I love the Amish country feature. My husband is from PA, but we live in SC and I love our trips back to PA when we make time to drive through the Amish Country.
Adina

Audrey said...

Hi Jill ... very interest post on the doll hospital. Anxious to hear
how the repair to your doll turned out. I have a young girl mannequin that has a broken arm and I need to get it repaired. Thanks for the link to this hospital. I will email her.
Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures