Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Let's Talk Vintage #45: Exploring Cape May, New Jersey


Welcome to Let's Talk Vintage!

Every Tuesday vintage lovers from blog land gather here to share their latest finds, projects, treasures, inspirations, you name it! If it has to do with vintage, you'll find it at the Let's Talk Vintage party!

This week I am taking you along on my trip to Cape May, NJ.

Unfortunately, I am using old photos from our trip in 2013. I just lost a bunch of my beloved vacation photos while trying to upload them from my new iphone. All of the shots I took at some antique shops we stopped in on the way down, and from our stop at New Jersey's Historic Cold Spring Village, are gone. I would love to do a future post on the village, hopefully the hubby took some photos with his phone.

Anyway, moving on with photos from 2013:


Cape May has, in my humble opinion,
some of the most beautiful Victorian homes
lining it's streets.
 
 
 
 
These homes in particular,
line the road that is along the
Atlantic Ocean, way down at the tip of
New Jersey.

 
This one is called
"The Angel of the Sea"


Just gorgeous grandeur!

 
(Found this photo on a camera the Hubs had used! Yay!)
 
This B&B is called
"The Merry Widow."
 

One of my favorites is Congress Hall.
I'm borrowing a couple of their
official site photos.
Several sitting Presidents have stayed here.
One stayed the whole summer!
 
 
Here is a little bit more about the
history of the hotel.
Did you know a fire destroyed
it as well as 38 acres of
beach front property in 1878?
This seems to be a common
thread in history. Fires were
a real threat and took so
many memories with them.

We made our own however and
dined al fresco at their
"Blue Pig" restaurant.
Doesn't sound too appealing
but the food was DELISH.
 
I love going to Cape May and
highly recommend it if you
love the beach, history,
and Victorian. And even if
you don't, the beach and
surrounding area is beautiful!
 
 


 
Here are this week's features:

 
shared her tea cup collection
along with these gorgeous roses
and some wonderful quotes.
 
 
and Shari of Barberry Lane Designs
took us along with her to a huge
flea market in Wisconsin.
Lots of cool stuff!
 

 
Check out these cool hand cut glasses from soda bottles!
You can find them at The Farmhouse in the Field and see
Stacey's tutorial on how to make them.

Now it's your turn.
Let's Talk Vintage!


 

 

14 comments:

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Jillian,
Thanks so much for hosting!! Going to Cape May for Victorian Week and for a week in Christmas is on my Bucket List!! We went to Wildwood every year for vacation and always took a Day trip to Cape May. I remember when all those homes were falling apart and in the 70's, when placed on the national Historic Registry, they started to fix up all those beauties!!
thanks so much for sharing!!

Hugs,
Deb

Tea Cottage Pretties said...

Older photos or not, they are outstanding beautiful!!! Thank you so much for sharing them. Now I so want to go to Cape May!!!! Hugs, Beverly

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Hi Jillian, wonderful visit to Cape May, thank you for sharing your photos. Thank you too for Lets Talk Vintage 45.

Sandi Magle said...

Thanks so much for the feature and hosting…. Don't you just want to live and die on one of those wonderful porches! Makes you want to go grab a paint bucket and paint some trim. Thanks again!

Rita C at Panoply said...

Oh, I'm so sorry you lost your photos! I know that just makes you sick, I once lost many several years ago. But these photos are great, and it's a delightful surprise to me that Cape May is that quaint!
Thank you for hosting us, and these features this week are pretty cool, too!
Rita

Maiah Harrison said...

Dear Jillian, May I say: "Yahoo!!!" and do a happy dance :-)
Thank you so much for the feature. I deeply appreciate it. The links are very delightful, entertaining and informative. And being featured is a great gift from you. I will go ahead and visit some of the other links as well.

I hope you have a nice day. ~Maya~

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Hi Jillian, this truly looks like a darling place. Love all of the homes! Hubby and I are going to New England in Oct. I'll have to see how far away this is from where we are staying. We love towns like this. Just toured the beach towns in OR. Thanks for the party. That WI flea looks so fun!
hugs,
Jann

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

How sad that you lost all your pictures! I just love Cape May. We went in 2002 when my son was about 4 years old. He had a huge fear of sharks for some odd reason and when we arrived there we found out that the town mascot is a shark! Shark pictures everywhere! And one gift shop had a taxidermy shark on the ceiling! Needless to say, we had a screaming child the whole time. I remember all the painted ladies and how pretty everything was!

Diana said...

What a beautiful place to vacation--I'd love to visit some time. Thanks so much for hosting your lovely party, Jill :)

Deanies Stash said...

What gorgeous photos. I hope your hubby has some current ones. Have a great week!

Victoria said...

Wow, your party's growing Jillian! Those painted houses are amazing and the hotel looks spectacular! Ugh, sorry you lost all those pics...the downside to technology:(

I'm totally drooling over the white chair in the Wisconsin flea market pic!!!

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

These old beauties are amazing! What a gorgeous town. Thanks for sharing your tour at VIParty.

Art and Sand said...

Thanks for taking me on a tour of Cape May. Those houses are simply gorgeous.

Carol @ The Red Painted Cottage said...

Years ago I stayed at a beautiful B&B in Cape May, for our son's graduation from the Coast Guard. Even though it was in February, I fell in love with all the Victorian houses. It's a beautiful place!